BECAUSE IT’S IMPORTANT & BECAUSE THE RIVERSIDE FARMERS’ MARKET TOLD YOU TO
Health benefits of blueberries
1. The highest antioxidant capacity of all fresh fruit
2. Neutralizes free radicals which can affect disease and aging in the body
3. Aid in reducing belly fat
4. Helps promote urinary tract health
5. Been proven to preserve vision
6. Brain health
7. Heart disease prevention
8. Helps relieve constipation & aids digestion
9. Blueberries keep you fresh, active, fit, sharp, and in a good mood!
Selecting and storing: Look for berries that are firm, dry, plump and smooth-skinned, with a silvery surface bloom and no leaves or stems. Size isn’t an indicator of maturity but color is; berries should be deep purple-blue to blue-black. Avoid blueberries that look soft or shriveled or have any signs of mold. Refrigerate fresh blueberries as soon as you get them home, either in their original plastic pack or in a covered bowl or container. Be sure to wash your berries before you start snacking, and eat them within 10 days of purchase. Don’t worry about rinsing the berries before you freeze them; simply place them, still in their original containers, in re-sealable plastic bags and store them on your freezer shelf. The berries will freeze individually and you can remove just the portion you need. If you didn’t wash your blueberries before freezing them, you should rinse them just before use. For best results, use your home-frozen blueberries within six months.